I have written against Manmohan a little more only with a hope that he will speed up the development of this beloved country that has remained under subjugation for centuries.
Manmohan though has failed as an administrator, but he remained dreamer and contributed significantly with some clear cut projects.
1. Manmohan established 16central universities including conversion of three state universities to central universities, seven new Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs), 8 new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), 10 new National Institutes of Technology (NITs), 5 Indian Institutes of Science Education &Research (IISERs), and 2 Schools of Planning and Architecture (SPAs).
2. Manmohan has initiated and may be completing theNational Mission on Education through ICT (NMEICT) which aims at providing high speed broadband connectivity to universities and colleges and development of e-content in various disciplines is under implementation. Nearly 404 universities have been provided 1Gbps connectivity or have been configured under the scheme and 19,851 colleges have also been provided VPN connectivity. Over 250 courses have been completed and made available in National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) Phase I and another 996 courses in various disciplines in engineering and science are being generated in Phase-II of NPTEL by IIT Madras.
3. The project planned by the previous government has started the construction of 6 AIIMS-like institutions at Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Jodhpur, Patna, Raipur, and Rishikesh.
4. For providing the right human resources for the Indian IT industry, the key sector that made India a global brand, the government has also approved setting up of twenty new Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) on PPP basis that are targeted for completion in nine years from 2011-12 to 2019-20.
5. Bharat Nirman programme, the brainchild of Manmohan was really a wonderful one, as the time frame for the targets were defined. It would have changed the picture of the rural India, but the execution was very poor. For example as per the programme, my village has been electrified, but it hardly gets electricity for few days in a year for few hours in the day. If MNREGA would have effectively used for building water bodies and canals, it could have provided water for irrigation for a large number of farmers.
I wish Manmohan would have focused on few priority items.
1. Manmohan could certainly improve upon the hurdles of red tape and things required for doing business fast and attracted FDI.
2. Manmohan could certainly gone to implement the reforms suggested by many committees for police adminstration.
3. Manmohan could certainly got built the storage facilities for food grains to avoid wastage.
4. Manmohan could have certainly improved the role of manufacturing sector as strategy for providing more employment. Manmohan could have convinced the defence bosses to get more indigenisation of many equipment required by armed forces by bringing in private sector in it.