In few months, Modi government will complete two years. I thought for looking back at its performance: “Every time I think Narendra Modi is about to miss the bus, he surprises me,”writes Pritish Nandy.
Under Skilling India, Modi aimed at all young population to get the ability and knowledge required for getting rightly engaged with sufficient and satisfying remunerations.
Modi initiated three categories of loans without any collaterals under MUDRA for MSME entrepreneurs to remove the financial hurdles for the micro-small to medium size businesses.
He moved to Start ups for all the highly educated and aspiring lot who wishes to get into a business of their own rather than serving in an organisation.
Modi had a dream of India as a great high tech manufacturing industries that he wishes to get realised through Make in India. Tatas and Mahindras are working with Airbus and Boeing, while Ambani the junior has tied up with Russians to supply sophisticated systems to defence, and L &T may work with Toshiba for nuclear power plants. Modi through his address to the students and faculties in Gauhati recently gave a call to work for innovating new products and participate in Make in India.
Modi has been proactive towards the core population of farmers and have offered a new crop insurance programme with both much lower premiums and higher sums insured to face on the uncertainty in farming because of draught and other divine causes. The soil health card mission is also one of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s flagship projects. The scheme targets covering 140 million farmers in a span of three years beginning 2015-16. Data as on 13 January shows that only 257,000 soil samples have been tested so far. But still, it is nowhere the target. His projects also include strengthening of Krishi Vigyan Kendras and National Watershed Management Project.
For preventative measure to improve health of the masses, Modi has focused on basic cleanliness through Swachh India and by encouraging yoga.
On social measures, Modi’s priority has been on girl child and their education.
It appears this government unlike the one of Sonia is trying to empower the younger generation to dream, to deserve and to get engaged in creating more jobs too rather than offering waivers or subsidies or doles. Now it will be the task of all the country men- bureaucrats, officers and even citizens to take the maximum advantages by helping the implementation of the missions honestly and ardently. And all these programmes are totally secular and encourage every one for becoming deserving by hard work, education, skilling and innovating and to grab the opportunity available in plenty.
However, I feel something more would have done:
1. A faster way to get transformed into cashless economy. With some 20 crores families having Jan Dhan or other bank accounts and credit or debit cards, it is doable.
2. Inefficient organisation such as Food Corporation of India where a worker manages to get Rs. 4.5 lakh per month as remuneration through coercion or manipulation must end with restructuring of management and building accountability.
3. Stricter way to take tough dissuading actions against corrupt officials who become multimillionaire by misusing public money such as Yadav Singh of Noida Authority throughout the country, must be found.
4. Irrigation facilities must reach to every small farmers with less than two hectares of landholdings and they must be encouraged to switch over to crops or horticulture a that gives better returns.
5. A massive programme to build quality rural educational institutes such as Kendriya Vidyalayas, Navodaya, Kasturba Gandhi Vidyalayas and an ITI in each block of the country must be undertaken with a time to complete them by 2022.
6. A proactive counselling system in all communities to stop suicides of farmers and action plans require special attention. On the same line, all the wings of RSS, BJP and Hindu organisations must remove the discriminations between the castes. Particularly so called upper castes or dominating castes must take the responsibility to develop mutually respectable relations by breaking the age old myths of superiority of people born in particular castes.
Can India move fast to double digit growth rate?